Friday, May 29, 2009

WolframAlpha Works For Schools!


I've been exploring a new search engine called WolframAlpha the last couple of days. It is a fantastic resource for many disciplines and I can find great educational use in this tool.
As a former foods and nutrition teacher, I was quite excited to see the data that was found when I typed in the word "Apple" and got a nutrition facts label and several other charts displaying nutrients provided in 1 apple. I considered the projects I would do with students using labels they would have to bring in (and of course forget). This tool would be such a fantastic way to do those projects without having to spend extra time on finding labels.
The next search I did (a little more fun) was my birthday. I typed in the date and found that I am 10,888 days old! It also told me that no notable events happened on that day (except for of course the obvious) and informed me that the sun came up at 6:37.
As you may be able to tell, this search engine is focused more on data, charts, graphs, etc. It will compare stocks, perform calculations and give you statistics about dates, towns and even people. I encourage you to check this one out if you haven't already but keep in mind as you're looking that this engine is specific in its information. You're not going to be able to type in everything and get a list of results.

No comments:

Post a Comment