Saturday, August 1, 2009

iLab Gets Visitors!



Due to some waxing issues and not being able to get into the other labs at my school, I was able to hold the first workshop in the iLab on Thursday! Luckily, Mo Hax stopped by the day before and offered to help set up all of the computers or I'm not sure what I would have done. There were still boxes all around and the place was a mess, but we made it work! The workshop I held was on GMail and Google Groups which was a continuation of one I did with Denise Yates (on Tuesday) on Google Docs.

It was fun to see the reactions of the teachers as they walked in and saw the new set up. My favorite comment was, "the kids are going to love this!" I heard that comment more throughout the morning as they were introduced to a few programs. I always love the opportunity to show someone Photo Booth, so when asked how to put a picture into google profile, I seized the opportunity. If you've used Photo Booth before, you know the reaction they had. Pure fun for the next 10 minutes! Lots of laughter and excitement.

We also got the opportunity to use the chat feature, which is something I've not had the opportunity to do yet with teachers. Thanks to Chad Lehman, we were able to do a video chat which couldn't have worked out better if I had planned it. He was sitting outside under a tree at the zoo. That got a chuckle from my crowd, but then he went on to explain he was there presenting for a conference where they were demonstrating how to integrate technology into lessons with animals. And the crowd went silent....with wide eyes! They got it! A video chat brought Chad from Milwaukee to us and we learned something from him. I could see the wheels spinning in a few teachers brains. Can't wait to see what they come up with for their classes this year.

We had fantastic conversations after the workshop about how the world is changing with new technology tools and I was so excited to hear the positive comments. During this time with small budgets and high stress, I was a little nervous about the reaction of teachers to a new lab of this caliber being installed at the school. After this workshop, I am excited for everyone to see it, but really can't wait for that first lesson with the students. This year is going to be fun!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to help out. I'm very jealous of your new lab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome! I can't wait to come check it out when things settle down a bit.

    ReplyDelete